We are a small rural school and our vision is to provide a Christian environment, which develops the children's spiritual understanding. We aim to offer pupils a broad and balanced curriculum, which facilitates the development of knowledge, skills and understanding and we aim to develop every pupil's self-esteem through promoting self-discipline so that each individual achieves his or her true potential. We aim to develop the children's creative abilities enabling them to have enquiring flexible minds and develop the children's social, moral and cultural understanding with an awareness and celebration of the multicultural world in which we live. Ultimately we want to develop an aptitude for lifelong learning throughout the whole school community.
Our Mission Statement:
At Aveton Gifford C of E Primary School we promote a welcoming happy community based on trust and mutual respect, where all individuals feel that they are valued and belong. We endeavour to help children achieve their full potential academically, creatively, spiritually and socially by encouraging a love of learning and the development of self-esteem, and confidence. As a church school we embed our Christian values into everyday learning and foster a respect for other people and their beliefs.
Church of England schools are inclusive and serve equally those who are of the Christian faith, those of other faiths and those with no faith
Our ethos is to provide a stimulating Christian environment that creates an enjoyable atmosphere of positive endeavour for all. We believe it is the right of all children to be given access to the whole curriculum, which enables them to have high expectations and achieve high standards.
Children’s development and progress is best achieved through high expectations and the fostering of independent learning. It is the responsibility of the individual students to behave in a co-operative manner, which enables quality learning to take place. We also believe in facilitating the development of the children’s diverse potential enabling them to take their place in society.
Our Christian Values are:
Autumn - Thankfulness and Trust
Spring - Perseverance & Friendship
Summer - Compassion & Joy
Each half term, we focus on one of these values in depth.
It’s not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What’s important is that God makes the seed grow. The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work.” 1 Corinthians 3:7-8 (NLT)
· Sowing the seeds. At Aveton Gifford we pride ourselves in sowing the seeds of learning, enabling all children to grow and flourish into maturity. We do this through offering a broad and balanced curriculum, offering diverse learning opportunities that develop the whole child; mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually. We accomplish far more together than we can ever accomplish alone. As a school we strive to be an extended family working with parents in order to support their children so they bloom and flourish. “Whoever sows sparing, will also reap sapringly, and whoever sows bountifully, will also reap bountifully” Corinthians 9:6
· Creating the right conditions for growth. For seeds to grow into strong plants they need the right conditions to germinate and develop to maturity. We believe that our vision, lived out through the school’s Christian values, gives our children strong roots to live principled lives. As children grow we expect them to develop as leaders in their own right, changing the world for the better. “In due season we will reap, if we do not give up” Galatians 6:9
· Nurturing individuals, working together. As a farmer relies on different people to help them in their work, we work in partnership as staff within our school and the wider Trust aiming to bring out the best in all our children, recognising that everyone is unique. “God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts.” 1 Peter 4:10-11
· Growing success. Children begin their learning journey as seedlings as they grow we work hard to enable them to become strong, resilient and successful in order to adapt to new environments and challenges both within school and later. “I have placed before you an open door that no-one can shut” Revelation 3:8
As a rural school we have linked the journey of our pupils to the nurturing and growing of seeds and plants. In the Parable of the Sower, found in the three Synoptic Gospels (Matthew 13:1-23, Mark 4:1-20, and Luke 8:4-15), Jesus explains how the farmer scatters the seed freely. It is our duty to ensure that every seed falls onto ground that is fertile and nurturing, enabling each one to flourish and grow into the fullness of life. In the same way, we endeavour to provide a nurturing learning environment where every child can grow and flourish in their own unique way.
John 10:10 I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
we want children to flourish because they are unique and it’s part of the duty of our Christian community to allow children to flourish and grow. To create the perfect conditions for each child to grow like the perfect conditions for a seed to grow. Integrity of the individual child
As a small school, at Aveton Gifford we are able to celebrate each pupil’s uniqueness. We aim to create a safe and stimulating environment whereby our children experience challenging, creative and exciting learning opportunities; raising our communities’ aspirations for all. Pupils learn of their place in their rural and coastal setting and comparatively the wider world. We aim to strengthen our community and church links for the benefit of all. Our unique outdoor environment including an enhanced play area, swimming pool, forest school enables children to explore their physical and
social capabilities. Our indoor learning environment challenges pupil’s personal academic growth.
Our Christian distinctiveness is based upon our school values of friendship, perseverance, trust, joy, thankfulness and compassion which underpin how we aim to nurture the whole child’s personal growth whilst striving to Flourish, Aspire and Achieve academically.
Our school Christian values support our vision
· Friendship – through developing bonds across the school community as we work and play and care for each other. “Do to others as you would have them do to you” Luke 6:31 John 15:13 The greatest love is shown when a person lays down his life for his friends.
· Perseverance – “We will reap the harvest if we do not give up” Galatians 6:9
· Trust – We all develop relationships with each other based upon trust “Trust in the Lord and do good” Psalm 37:3
· Joy – in our positive mind-set and wellbeing. “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him” Romans 15:13
· Thankfulness – being grateful for our communities, lives and each other “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever” Chronicles 16:34
· Compassion – “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as God forgave you” Ephesians 4:32
· Compassion through all our interactions with each other.
Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience
'Spirituality is... a connection to God, nature, each other and the deepest parts of ourselves'