First Federation Trust
At Aveton Gifford Primary School we pride ourselves on the swimming provision which is offered to all of our students from Foundation to Year 6. We are incredibly fortunate to have an on site swimming pool, which is heated through solar panels and community run.
Usually, after May half-term the pool is opened when the temperature is suitable for the children to swim in. Aveton Gifford Primary School has sole use of the pool during term time and school hours. This has enabled us to devise a proficient swimming program for all pupils. As swimming is now statutory within the National Curriculum Framework, our expectation is that all pupils will receive the minimum entitlement and we will provide an enriched program in order set high targets for all of our pupils to achieve by the end of each Key Stage.
Our swimming provision is led by Mrs Sarah Drew, who is a qualified Level 2 Swimming Teacher and coach. As well as providing swimming teaching at Aveton Gifford Primary School, Mrs Drew also leads classes at Quayside Leisure center and is actively involved in team management for Plymouth Leander Swimming Club.
As a school we are registered members of 'which provides us with National guidance and resources for our teaching provision.
Our aims for the pupils at Aveton Gifford Primary School are:
- To promote a love of water based activities (as we are a coastal school)
- To improve pupils water confidence by promoting enjoyment through games and fun activities
- To monitor and develop the individual progress of each pupil through each academic year
- For all pupils to participate in Inter-House swimming competitions
- To offer wider experiences of Inter-school/National Galas for the more competent and able
- To offer an enhanced provision (top-up swimming) by identifying pupils who would benefit from extra support
- To gain awareness of survival and self-rescue skills for all ages
- pupils will be able to use a range of strokes effectively, be able to swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 meters and to be able to perform safe-self rescue in different water based situations
We host local swimming galas, which gives a variety of pupils an opportunity to develop their confidence and participation in team events.
- In 2018 a team were able to compete at Millfield School against other schools from the South West in the English Schools swimming Association Championship. Where they placed 5th.
- Each year there is a KS1 and a KS2 Inter-house swimming completion, in which all pupils participate to gain points for their house. The Aveton Gifford Swimming Trophy is thus awarded to the house with the most points.
- Pupils will have the opportunity to work one to one with a qualified coach in order to improve their technique and confidence.
- All our pupils also have the opportunity to work towards skill badges in line with the ASA.
- All pupils take part in a 'water safety' programme, where they learn how to keep themselves safe around the water.