St Andrew's Church
St Andrew's Church in Aveton Gifford was described by WG Hoskins as "one of the oldest and most interesting churches in Devon". Although much of the original fabric of the church was destroyed by bomb damage in 1943 and has been extensively restored, it still contains many items of local interest and historical value.
St Andrew’s is part of the Modbury team of eight parishes which until Easter 2017 was led by the Team Rector – Reverend Neil Barker, the only member of clergy in the team. At Easter we said "Good-bye" to Reverend Barker as he retired from his post. The Diocese is currently looking to appoint a new Team Rector. Until the appointment has been made, our services are being taken by
Mr Michael Tagent.
There is a service at St Andrew’s at 11.00am every Sunday except when there are five Sundays in the month. The pattern for the month is:
1st Sunday: Family Service
2nd Sunday: Holy Communion
3rd Sunday: Morning Prayer
4th Sunday: Family Communion
When there are five Sundays in the month, the church has a team communion service at one of the churches in the team.
The children and staff from Aveton Gifford Cof E (VC) Primary School go to church once a week in term time, and hold special services for the school Harvest Festival, Easter and both a traditional Nativity and a Christingle at Christmas.
Further information can be found on the Modbury Team Ministry website at:
Every month the Parochial Church Councils of St Andrew and St George produce a parish magazine, 'The Magnet'. If you would like to receive a copy of the magazine, please contact Claire Hosking (Modbury) on 01548 831282 or Pat Doughty (Aveton Gifford) on 01548 550225.